After seven years of planning and two years of construction, the new Ronald McDonald House BC and Yukon opened to serve families on July 7, 2014.
Since 1983, we have opened our doors and arms to overwhelmed families who travel to Vancouver in search of life-saving treatment for their seriously ill child. More than just a place to stay, RMH BC is a place for families to heal better, together.
Our House on Angus Drive could accommodate 13 families each night, but the demand for our services was much greater. That’s why we have built a new House on the grounds of BC Children’s Hospital which will serve 73 families each night – that’s 2500 families in need each year!
Our new House was made possible by the generosity of BC and Yukon residents. There’s still time to make your mark on the new Ronald McDonald House BC. Donate today!
New House Features
Take a virtual tour of our new house by clicking here.
The new Ronald McDonald House BC was designed with families in mind. Our key concern was to make our House a ‘home” even as we increased in size, so we divided it into four homelike Pavilions (Forest, Beach, Mountain and River), each with their own kitchens and cozy common lounges.
In addition, the new Ronald McDonald House BC offers:
- Room for more families with seriously ill children - up to 73 families at a time instead of just 13
- Accommodation for the entire family in spacious private guestrooms, each with their own 5-piece bathroom for improved hygiene, and maybe the occasional bubble bath.
- Wholesome home-style meals in our four professionally equipped kitchens and tastefully decorated dining rooms.
- Fun and games for all ages. Whether on the playground, on the sports court, or playing the latest video or board game with a new friend, Ronald McDonald House BC believes in the healing power of play.
- Welcoming indoor and outdoor lounge areas which encourage families to meet others in similar situations.
- Innovative and exciting play spaces including a LEGO lounge and Magic Room.
- Arts & Crafts Studio, where young artists can express themselves.
- Teens Only Lounge, an adult-free zone where our guests who are too young to vote can hang out with friends and siblings.
- Secure Wi-Fi zones and computer stations throughout the House and grounds, making it easy to stay connected to friends, school or work.
- Indoor fitness centre, helping parents to stay active during their stay.
All of these great amenities are only steps from BC Children’s Hospital.